Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Celebrating Chinese New Year

Ready to go out and about New Years Eve.

I guess I know a little bit about Chinese culture given I have had 5 years of reading adoption books, reading adoption blogs and watching any documentary that comes on t.v. I  certainly am no expert but I do know that Spring Festival is the most important holidays for Chinese people. The festival begins on the first day of the first month in the traditional Chinese calendar and ends with Lantern Festival which is on the 15th day. Chinese New Year's Eve, a day where Chinese families gather for their annual reunion dinner, is known or "Eve of the Passing Year." This year it was Feb2.


 The biggest event of any Chinese New Year's Eve is the dinner every family will have.  Food will include such items as pigs, ducks, chicken and sweet delicacies.  A dish consisting of fish will appear on the tables of Chinese families. It is for display for the New Year's Eve dinner. This meal is comparable to Christmas dinner in the West. The family will end the night with firecrackers.


Early the next morning, children will greet their parents by wishing them a healthy and happy new year, and receive money in red paper envelopes. The Chinese New Year tradition is to reconcile, forget all grudges and sincerely wish peace and happiness for everyone. I think this is just lovely, don't you?


Red envelopes I made to give to all the children...for good luck!

Jane's orphanage emailed me to wish Jane a Happy New Year and to wish her good luck. This email is priceless as are the others I have received. They really loved Jane. I saw it when we went to visit and it is reaffirmed when I receive e mails asking for updates on her.


Jane will be raised Canadian but I will be forever grateful to China for this beautiful gift they have given us. She has renewed my spirit, given me hope and brightened my life. She is simply adored by her brothers and she adores them. She brings a twinkle to Dave's eye. Daddy loves his little girl.


This is our first of many Chinese New Year celebrations. Thank you to Cindy and family at Tai Hong restaurant. Thank you for closing your restaurant to celebrate New years Eve with us, for cooking all that tradition food, including the fish(salmon), for exchanging red envelopes with the children and for the wonderful firework display. Thanks to the other adoptive families who joined us. We loved it all!



Ready to go in the new dress that friends Lori Peddle and Marg Wells gave her. New clothes to start the new year fresh.
Meeting new friends

Traditional food


As you can see, Jacob is a little hesitant!!


John, ready to take it on!

Josh...much more willing!

Jack digging in!

I love this stuff. I really do. It is so num num nummy!!






Waiting for the fireworks.
1

Wow !

Red Envelopes for me!

Time to go home. What a great evening! Poor Jack got an icicle in the eye. Off to the clinic to check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Chinese new year quickly becomes a tradition for a family... one we always look forward too! So glad that after five years you got to celebrate it with your little one.

    ReplyDelete