Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Embroidery Museum and Yuelu Academy

We started our day with breakfast downstairs again, then it was off to the Embroidery Museum. It was amazing! At first glance, everything looked as if it was painted. A closer look revealed that the picture was actually embroidered. It is like nothing you have seen before, just unbelievable. Very beautiful works of art. I bought a piece for my baby and one for her new little friend in Arizona. Lexi Sammons. Lexi was adopted by a marvellous family who we were privileged to meet on our recent visit to Arizona. Lexi’s mom and I bonded immediately. Her and her husband Bryan have 4 biological children as well. Mary is the one responsible for posting all these pictures and info for me. Blogger and Facebook are blocked in China because they have IP addresses. I email everything to Mary and she does this for me and for you. Thank you Mary!


After the Embroidery Museum we all went to lunch at, of course, a Chinese Restaurant. The boys did well with the food. I can’t master the chopsticks at all. John is probably the best one at that. A grandma and daughter brought their son to the table to introduce him to Jane. He was very sweet.

After lunch we went to a place called . It was amazing. The architectural detail on the buildings was phenomenal. We drew quite a crowd. Locals are amazed with the 4 boys and I am getting many thumbs up. I have a card that reads”This is our adopted daughter” They are very pleased when they learn this. You would think they would realize she was but they don’t they are confused by the whole family unit until I show them. our guide does not like it when people approach us, he says sometime they ask questions they shouldn’t. We told them it was ok. They are thrilled with the Canadian pins I give them. Today we had to have several pictures taken with top government officials who spied us while they were at meetings there. One of the officials cornered Dave and wanted to know how to correctly pronounce the word uneven. We thought that was pretty funny. Everyone keeps touching Jack. He says he is freaked out but he is taking it all in good stride as Jack usually does.

What can I say about the streets and driving here. One word-insane or as Dave just added =Utter Chaos. If there are no police around, there are no rules. I have seen 2 scooter smash into each other and one fender bender. I have no idea how people are not run over. There are no rules. Our driver today ran 2 red lights. No seat belts in our van, no car seat.

Jane is blossoming more everyday. Joshua had her laughing out loud today and she was full of big smiles when outside. I guess that is a whole new world for her, She was so delighted to be out in the sunshine. It was 25* here today. She is quite the eater. She had a full bowl of steamed egg and 240 mls of a mixture of rice cereal and milk powder for supper. She is a delight.









3 comments:

  1. HI Bonnie
    I've been following your blog every day and I'm so moved by it. I look forward to it everyday. Jane is just absolutely beautiful, the pictures are gorgeous. Thank you so much for letting us all in to your lives like this.
    Hope you enjoy the rest of the trip and like everyone else, I cannot wait to meet your little princess.
    Ekie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Ekie, you bring me to happy tears everyday. I always wondered if adoption would be as powerful as giving birth, and thou you did not carry her for 9 months, you seem so comfortable with her like she is your own biological child. So to me, the answer seems like an astounding yes, one does bond and love immediately with a child they adopt.
    On another note, Bonnie, I swear her little cheeks are filling out since she has been with you. From the pictures of her first day with you to today she looks bigger! Too bad you don't have a baby scale with you Dave, I bet she is gaining weight like she never has before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie!!! I'm sooo happy to see these photos- you all look wonderful together! Thanks for sending me the link to your blog. Enjoy every minute in China- its such an amazing country that has given us our youngest children :)

    Carolyn W.

    ReplyDelete